Tue, 19 Nov 2019

PRO-Cor assures peaceful CAR amid body dumping incident

Philippine Information Agency
21 Oct 2019, 18:38 GMT+10

LA TRINIDAD, Benguet, Oct. 21 (PIA) -- The Police Regional Office - Cordillera(PRO-Cor) assured a peaceful and safe Cordillera Administrative Region(CAR) amidst the recovery of eight human remains in a ravine along Marcos Highway in Tuba, Benguet last week.

PRO-Cor Regional Director PBGen. Ephraim Israel Dickson said the Cordillera is very peaceful and what transpired in the area of Poyopoy in Taloy Sur in Tuba, Benguet, does not affect the peace and order situation of theregion.

"The Poyopoy incident is an isolated case," he stressed during a press briefing.

The Tuba Municipal Police Station with the Baguio and Tuba Fire Stations , the Tuba Municipal Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council and 911 on Call Rescue Group recovered five cadavers and two skeletal remains on October 15 at a 30-meter deep ravine and another cadaver on October 16 at the same ravine in Sitio Poyopoy, Taloy Sur in Tuba, Benguet.

Benguet Provincial Police Office (PPO) Provincial Director Col. Elmer Ragay said that the six cadavers recovered were in advance state of decomposition making identification hard. Fortunately, two were identified on Wednesday by their family members as Fahad Manan Macalanggan, 28, of Marawi and resident of Crystal Cave, Baguio City, and Kent Charlie Lubiton Licyayo, 22, of Hingyon, Ifugao and resident of Hilltop Road, Baguio City.

Based on the report of the Regional Crime Laboratory Service, the cadavers were dumped on separate dates. The crime lab estimated that five of the cadavers were two- weeks old, one was one-month old, and the two human skeletons were about one-year old. Except for the skeletons, the remains did not show signs of gunshot wounds.

The police surmised that the victims had been killed in other places and only dumped along Poyopoy.

The Benguet PPO has created the "Task Force Found Cadaver" with the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group, the Crime Laboratory Services and the Police Legal Service to focus on the thorough investigation on the incident.

Ragay is calling on families who have missing relatives to coordinate with the Benguet PPO or the Tuba MPS. He is also reaching out to the different provincial police offices in the Cordillera and the nearby provinces to look into the missing persons reports for possible identification of the bodies recovered.

Tuba MPS Chief of Police, Major James Acod said the retrieval operation was conducted after receiving a tip from a group of people who were looking for their relatives who went to the area and discovered distinctly foul odor. The the last cadaver was discovered through the use of a drone flown by foreign rescue volunteers.

Crime incidence has been decreasing significantly in the past months, but due to this incident, the police force in the Cordillera has beefeed up its general security measures to ensure safety and security of the public and that such incident will not be repeated in any part in the region, Dickson said. (JDP/RMC- PIA CAR)

PRO-Cor Regional Director PBGen. Ephraim Israel Dickson(r) stresses a point during a press briefing on the cadavers dumped along Tuba, Benguet. With him are Tuba Municipal Police Station Chief of Police, Major James Acod(l) and Benguet PPO Provincial Director Col. Elmer Ragay.(RMC- PIA CAR)

More Bahrain News

Access More

Sign up for Bahrain News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!